FRIDAY RECIPE: Salsa Rice
- 1/3-1/2 cup salsa, your favorite
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups water
- In a saucepan, bring salsa, salt, and water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork before serving.
FRIDAY RECIPE: Meatless Meatballs
- 1 pound stale country-style bread, crusts removed and cut into thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, leaves chopped to yield 2 tablespoons
- 1 bunch basil, leaves chopped
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- In a large bowl add the bread slices and milk. Let sit until the bread is soaked through, then squeeze dry. Crumble and tear the soaked bread into smaller pieces and process in the food processor, using quick pulses, to yield 4 cups soaked crumbs.
- Mix the crumbs in a bowl with the eggs, cheese, herbs, and garlic, adding salt and pepper, to taste. Form into round balls about 2 inches in diameter. Set aside on a rack or plate to dry for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan or deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil to frying temperature, about 360 degrees F, and fry the bread balls until brown on all sides. Remove the balls as they brown and drain on a rack covered with paper towels.
- Have the tomato sauce ready. Arrange the balls on a platter and lightly cover with sauce. Serve immediately.
FRIDAY RECIPE: Senegalese Peanut Soup
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 inch minced ginger root
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chopped cilantro
- Puree chickpeas, 1/2 cup of broth, and peanut butter.
- Heat peanut oil in saucepan, saute onions and ginger root 7- 8 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder and cumin, saute another minute.
- Add remaining broth, tomatoes, and chickpea puree.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with cayenne and sprinkle with cilantro.
FRIDAY RECIPE: Asian Wraps
- 4 frozen vegetarian chicken patties
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup Asian toasted sesame salad dressing
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Microwave patties according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine coleslaw mix and dressing; set aside.
- Cut patties in half; place two halves off center on each tortilla; top with 3 tablespoon coleslaw mixture, 2 tablespoons chow mein noodles and 1 tablespoon almonds. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
FRIDAY RECIPE: Koshari
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lentils and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes. Add the rice to the lentils, and continue to simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Fill a separate saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned. Pour in the tomatoes and season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes.
- In a large serving dish, stir together the lentils, rice and macaroni. Mix in the tomato sauce until evenly coated.