Before you get swept up in all you have left to do before Christmas, here are five tips to make life a little less stressful.
- Take a few deep breaths. This is rather simple, of course, but it is incredible how easy it is forget to slow down for just a minute. You may want to repeat several times throughout the next 39 hours.
- Eat cookies. Even if you don’t get through all the baking you imagined, sneak a few, grab a glass of milk, sit down and enjoy. Watch the snow (hopefully), breathe a little more and think about Christmas. (Let your kids or spouse sneak a few as well, and life will be even sweeter.)
- Snuggle. While you’ve got the kids around, snuggle up together and read a Christmas story. Or spend some extra time with that special someone. You won’t mind not getting things done for a little while.
- Watch a good Christmas movie. Pick something like “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “A Christmas Carol” (I recommend the 1951 version by director Brian Desmond Hurst). It can help put life in perspective.
- Throw the list out. Is it really that important? Maybe a couple items do have to happen, but get rid of the ones that are not that necessary. Prepare your heart before you prepare your house.
Feel better? I hope so. Now go have a cookie.
Jennifer Rey is the web editor of Our Sunday Visitor Publishing.