Catholic headlines for September 23

The Washington Times reports that Donald Trump, who lately has been identified as having a “Catholic problem,” is forming a Catholic advisory group. Participating in this effort is Joseph Cella, founder of the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast. Cella, who signed a letter earlier this year saying Trump was “manifestly unfit” to be president, said that when it comes to Clinton vs. Trump, the latter is the clear choice for Catholics. Of course, not everyone agrees. 

Yesterday, following two nights of violence stemming from protests in the aftermath of the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by police, Bishop Peter J. Jugis called on the people of the Diocese of Charlotte to pray for peace and justice. The prayers seem to have work, for the third night of protests were, for the most part, peaceful.  

At the Cardinal Newman Society, Patrick Reilly says that dissenters of Pope Paul VI’s encyclical on contraception, "Humanae Vitae,” should not be teaching at Catholic colleges.

One year ago today, Pope Francis was beginning his pastoral visit to the United States with a stop at the White House and the canonization of St. Junipero Serra at a Mass at The Catholic University of America. Here are six challenges he left behind for us.

Gretchen R. Crowe is editor-in-chief of OSV Newsweekly. Follow her on Twitter @GretchenOSV