Parishioners of Our Lady of Guadalupe Sanctuary parish in Mecca, California, truly had cause for celebration last month when more than 1,000 people gathered as Bishop Gerald Barnes dedicated their newly constructed church, located in the Coachella Valley and home to many Latino farm workers.
Founded in 1927, the parish had worshipped in a number of temporary structures without ever having a place to call home. To build a permanent home, the people of Our Lady — led by Father Eliseo Lucas — joined in a grassroots fund-raising efforts to build a new facility. More than $4 million was raised through donations small and large from individuals and churches in the Diocese of San Bernardino.
Construction on the 19,000 square-foot, sandstone-colored building, which seats a congregation of 3,000, began in January 2014.
The video below shows the joy of the people in their new spiritual home.
Deacon Greg Kandra wrote about the Our Lady of Guadalupe parish on his Patheos blog here.
Read about the dedication Mass here.