What were your Lenten resolutions? Maybe you gave up a candy. Maybe you decided to attend a Lenten Lecture series or go to Mass every day.
If you’ve kept up with your Lenten resolutions, that’s great. If not, don’t feel guilty. There’s still time before Easter to do something special that will prepare your heart, your mind and your soul for the Risen Christ.
Here are some suggestions:
- Read a spiritual book. Check the Our Sunday Visitor website for suggestions.
- Do something nice for someone else each day until Easter.
- Go to confession.
- Go to Mass daily or several times during the week for the rest of Lent.
- Pray the Stations of the Cross at home or at your parish communal celebration.
- Volunteer to help with a special Lenten event at your parish.
- Pray for people you don’t like and for people who don’t like you.
- Visit someone who is sick or homebound.
- Turn off the radio in your car and listen to Christian music.
- Clean out closets. Donate gently-used items to the St. Vincent de Paul Society.
- Google “Catholic Missions” on the Internet. Then pick one mission and decide how you can help by sending money, clothing, or supplies.
- Check your diocesan newspaper for the location of a Passion Play. Invite family members and friends to go with you.
- Light a candle at home or at church in memory of deceased loved ones.
- Spend some time in adoration before the Blessed Sacrament.
- Abstain from meat an extra day or two during the week for the rest of Lent.
- Visit several churches on Holy Thursday.
- Don’t watch television from sundown on Holy Thursday until Easter morning.
- Forgive someone on Good Friday.
- Read the Passion accounts in the four Gospels.
- Pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary.
- Offer up any pain or difficulties you experience and unite your sufferings with the pain of Christ.
- Plan to attend all of the Triduum liturgies.
- Invite family members, friends and neighbors – especially people who have strayed from the church – to come to church with you.
- Bring a basket of Easter food to church on Holy Saturday for a special blessing.
- Volunteer to help decorate your parish church on Holy Saturday for Easter.
- Pray for world peace.