Plan to have a bulletin board or posterboard for the entire year. Decorate with a world map or a simple border than will surround a map of a country. Each week, choose a country that is mentioned in the news. Try to choose countries that are talked about in a negative manner. Create a map of this country (or choose a child to create one) or highlight this country on your world map. Then, the research and fun can begin! Assign one question to each child. Answers can be shared in just a few minutes the following day or week. Post answers on your board for viewing.
1. What is the official language of this country?
2. How many people live in this country? (for comparison, post the U.S. population at 301,139,947, July 2007 est.)
3. What is the average income of this country? (for comparison, post the U.S. average income at $18.62 per hour, 2005)
4. How many children live in this country? (for comparison, post the number of children in the U.S. as 73.5 million, 2005)
5. What is the average life expectancy in this country? (for comparison, post the average life expectancy in the U.S. as 74.4 for men, 78.9 for women)
6. What are the most common causes of death in this country? (for comparison, post the most common causes of death in the U.S. as heart disease and cancer)
Catholic Faith Resources | For Catholic Parishes | Order OSV Products | RSS | Advertise | About Us | Contact Us | Jobs